HOW TO SECURE RESIDENCE IN ANDORRA
The desire to live in Andorra has grown over time and many citizens of the world have chosen this country as their permanent residence. This is due to the diverse range of attractions that the principality offers, which certainly make it a location where anyone would be happy to settle permanently.
Andorra is notable among other countries for its high level of safety, good quality of life, gorgeous natural environment, an educational and health system that make it the envy of the world, a diverse range of leisure activities, highly competitive tax rates and its incredibly practical location just 2 hours’ drive, or 30 minutes by helicopter, from the cosmopolitan cities of Toulouse and Barcelona.
RESIDENCY IN ANDORRA
Passive residency: without profitable activity or fiscal residency
Due to new legal provisions, we will now be referring to immigration authorisations for residency without employment, which are divided into 2 types: residency authorisations for professionals conducting international business andresidency authorisations for reasons of scientific, cultural and sporting interest.
These authorisations are for non-native persons who establish their main effective residence in Andorra for a period of at least 90 days per calendar year, and are issued for a period of 2 years. Initial renewals will cover a further period of 2 years, second renewals will grant 3 years, and successive renewals a period of 10 years. Spanish citizens have a special agreement in place for this purpose.
To acquire this non-permanent residency you will need:
- Marital status certificate and passport
- No criminal record
- Original copies of purchase or rental contracts for a property in Andorra
- A bank document confirming the deposit of €50,000 in the INAF(Instituto Nacional de Finanzas). If you have any dependants, a further €10,000 must be deposited for each of them
- To pass a medical examination performed by the Medical Department of the Andorran Immigration Office
- Proof of disability, pension and health insurance. Persons over the age of 60 will only require proof of health insurance
- To show that you have an income exceeding 300% of the country’s minimum wage plus an additional 100% for every dependant
- To make an investment of €350,000. This can be in real estate or investments in companies
Active residency: with employment
This type of residency is significantly more restrictive than the one above. It is awarded to foreign nationals who work in Andorra. The employing company must arrange this permit with the Ministry of Internal Affairs.
By acquiring passive or active residency you will gain various benefits and rights, including:
- Ownership of businesses and investments
- Operating without limitations on your investments
- Driving licence approval
- Acquisition of properties within the country
- Registration of vehicles, boats and aircraft
- Familial reunification
These are the basic aspects that must be considered when applying for any of these residencies, whether permanent or periodic. Don’t hesitate, go with the instinct that is telling you to enjoy the countless benefits of living in a country like Andorra.